Entry #5: The real value of "like"
These clips “Prologue” and “Act one: Finding the self in
selfie” just reflect what is happening with teenagers, especially second or
high school students. Because at that age, having the attention of other people
is really important. They want to be cared about, want to be the central of the
world and others compliments. I know that because I used to be like that. I
used to check Instagram or Facebook every single minute to see if anyone liked
or comment on my post. I used to be so happy when my post got more than 150
likes including my crush. So, I completely understand if the same thing happens
to high school girls. Maybe at this moment they don’t know or even don’t think
about why people like their photo. It doesn’t mean people really like it or
engaging with the post, some of people who likes and who is their close friend
will but not the majority, they just see the post and probably “like” it even
though they don’t really know or be close with person who post it.
There’s a detail that I feel so funny in the “This American
Life’s episode” is before posting something on social media, a girl said that
they usually send it to their friends to judge and comment, if it is good, then
it can be posted. This totally go the opposite way of the purpose of social media,
that is sharing and saving moment. How that moment could be meaningful if it is
prepared? For me, a meaningful moment should be taken with friends, not a
selfie or be taken when I don’t even know when was that is taken. Moreover, the
number of “like” will not really affects me in anyway. Otherwise, my close’s
friend’s concern about the post is more important. Because the purpose is
sharing and saving the moment so that is for years later, when I look back, I
could see those memorable memories.
When I listened
to those clips, I felt like they are talking about me a year ago, but then,
thank to Michelle Obama’s speech in 2015, I realized that there are more things
more significant should be don’t than sitting on furniture and checking Instagram
or Facebook. She said, “If I had worried about who liked me and who thought I was
cute when I was your age, I wouldn’t be married to the president of the United
State.” She advised girls should better focus on study than care about what
people think about us. If teenagers just waste time in concerning how many
likes or who comment on their post, they wouldn’t be success in the future
Na--Your four new posts look pretty good. You have some interesting topics and points for discussion, and you are working to develop them well. You have some room to keep digging into your analysis in some places. Don't forget about the context of your entries (#6 for example...what "clips" are you talking about? Your audience does not know you have an assignment). Good visual appeal and engagement. Keep it up.
ReplyDelete